Saturday, August 20, 2011

Balls of Fun

This isn't an obscene post. This isn't an advertisement. This is purely meant to be a dedication to the tenacity and single-minded ambition of our little man.

I wasn't sure whether or not I would join the outing with Marion on Tuesday, August 16, 2011. It was meant to be a "Mommy's group" outing. This, plainly enough, is not a group in which I am particularly physically able to join. I do not have the necessary entrance criteria which would allow me to become part of such an elitist organization. I hesitated when Marion first asked me to be part of this particular sojourn to the wilds of Mississauga Ontario. However, given that summer freedom was about to be drawing to a close, I forsook the comfort of my (parents-in-laws') home and decided to set forth with my little entourage to discover for myself what mysteries were to be found and what tales would be told when isolated in a group of mothers of toddlers.

We drove on the 401 towards our destination, christened "Balls of Fun" in regards to the vast assortment of balls and ball related instruments available. Dude (Kaeden) eye's grew to the size of watermelons when he beheld the sight before him. You see, for our little Dude balls are the be all and end all of existence. He sleeps with balls, wakes up with balls, plays any sport that involves a ball, and some of his first utterances were "baw baw" (balls). It is no wonder that when he saw the infinity of balls in front of him he stopped for a moment in reverence at the sight that was before him. I saw in his eyes that here, at last, he had found his land flowing with milk and honey. He was in a sacred place, and he would live this part of his life to the fullest.

He sped towards the gate and tugged with both hands, trying with all his might to enter this most wondrous of lands. I released the latch and from that moment he was a creature of unbelievable energy. He ran. He kicked. He threw every ball he could find with purpose. His hair flew as he ran from station to station. He had many friends, children of those mommies after which the group had been named.

Many fears were conquered in that wonderful place. Slides of all shapes, lengths, and heights existed to intimidate even the bravest of souls. At first Dude was nervous to approach these monstrous creations. He needed my help at first to tackle them. Slowly, he steeled himself and gained his independence. I was left aside after he could do it on his own. I was slightly saddened by the fact he was now able to handle it on his own, but proud of how he had come into his own.

Six plus hours we spent at that place. Other children (and parents, including the author) fell to the powers of fatigue on that day. some napped, some slowed, some complained, but Dude did none of those. He was a Juggernaut, a creature of pure relentless energy. Empowered by the beauty of the balls in that place he was not to be fettered.

He had to be dragged away at the end of it all. We took him to the car to return. At last, at the end of it all in the comfort of his kingly throne at the back of our car, he gave in to the power of exhaustion. With his thumb hanging in the corner of his mouth with a small smile of triumph, he slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment